Home Forums Main Forum Challenger

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #819
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Having recently had the aerobatic bug rekindled in me by my Wind SE, my thoughts turned back to my first ever aerobatic ship, the Steve Burgess designed Challenger. This was a design from the late 70’s early 80’s I think and was built to fly the then FAI “Turnaround” aerobatic schedule and was meant to be powered by a tuned pipe equipped 60 2 stroke.  I built mine in the mid 80’s and even if I say so myself, it was a work of art. Problem was I never actually got to fly it as it crashed on its 2nd flight while still being trimmed out by a more experienced clubmate due a receiver switch malfunction. I vowed then I would build another…..well its only taken 35 years but here goes. This is what it looks like…..

    • This topic was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Brookes745.
    #820
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    I obtained the plan from Sarik hobbies, plan number RC1479 if you’re interested. The plan arrived and the balsa wood bought, let battle commence.

    #822
    DRCH
    Keymaster

    Good luck sir, will be really interesting watching your build journey 👍🏻

    #823
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    As I said previously, the original was designed for glow power but I decided to go electric as I have with all my models. The model will be a similar size to the Wind S and I plan to use the same motor/ESC combo so I can use the 6s batteries I have.

    The first thing I decided to do was to build the wings. The plan gives the option to build foam wings but as I plan to fit retracts, I find it easier with the traditional balsa frame. First step is the same for both ways, that is to produce blanks for the root and tip ribs. I made mine out of proskin, a thin glass fibre sheet which is opaque which make it easier.

     

    #824
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    These blanks are then used to produce the wing ribs using the sandwich method where balsa blanks are placed between the ribs and carved to shape….

    #825
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    The real thing looks like this.. Note the wire ties that hold it all together with clamps on the other side.

    #826
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Carved and sanded. Note that I have left the blanks over size length wise as this makes it easier to get the exact length called for on the plan.

    #827
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Finally, two sets of completed ribs. The holes in R2 to R6 are for the servo lead. In a departure from the plan which calls for a single servo to control both ailerons, I have gone for a more modern two servo set up.

    #828
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    I actually started this build several weeks ago but I’m just now getting round to putting it on here. After the wing ribs were complete, over the period of a week or so, I cracked on and framed up the wings, sheeted them, made the mounts for and installed the retracts and installed the aileron servos, made the fuselage sides and formers and joined the sides, taking pictures along the way. I normally use my iphone for this but on the day it was on charge so I dug out my digital camera and used that for the pictures. It was at the point when I decided to put it on here, I realised that the memory card was corrupt and I’d lost the lot…..gutted.

    So the next bit is fast forwarded somewhat. This picture shows the retracts fitted. I considered using electric retracts but found it difficult to spec a set up for what I needed, pus they were working around around £120 for a set where these were £15 second hand but as new off FB. Note the Proskin surrounds which is much stronger than balsa and the underside of the actuating servo.

    #829
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    And retracts extended…..

    #830
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Picture showing the ailerons servo hatch. The servo is mounted to the underside of the panel which is a laminate of Proskin and 1/32 ply. Very strong and light.

    #831
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Shot of the fuselage which is made from 1/4 balsa with a 1/16 ply doubler and triangular strip longerons. Fire wall is 1/4 ply.

    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Brookes745.
    #833
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Finally ailerons cut to size, checked for alignment and the wing tips added and shaped. View of top side of wing……

    #834
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    And lower……

     

    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Brookes745.
    #836
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    So next thing to look at was the tail feathers. The plan is unusual in that it calls for the stabiliser to be carved out of solid 3/4 inch balsa block. I toyed with the idea of doing a built up version but decided to go with the plan, so a pair of blanks were marked up….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.