Home Forums Main Forum Challenger

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #837
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    And then attacked with a razor plane……

    #838
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Second one done and the halves joined…..

    #839
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Finally sanded smooth and tips added…

    #840
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Next the elevator halves were made up. I had some TE section in stock but it wasn’t deep enough so I added some 3/8 square to the LE to bring it up to size. The elevators were then cut to shape and the wire joiner bent up…..

    #841
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    And finally taped together to check alignment.

    #842
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    The fin and rudder were made in a similar way to the stab only this time out of 1/2 inch balsa. So once again blanks were made up……

    #843
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    And then carved and sanded to shape……

    #844
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Next up was to carry on with the fuselage. As I’ve said I want to power the aircraft with an electric motor, specifically this one……

    #845
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    With the motor prop driver, mount and spinner fitted it was offered up to the plan to check fitment. There is a gap of about an inch between the back of the motor and the firewall. I will use this gap to fit a plywood motor mount box and incorporate the required 2 degrees of right thrust for the motor. Note the pencil lines showing my thoughts on possibly adding a chin piece to the cowl area for practical and aesthetic purposes…..

    #846
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Thinking about the conversion to electric, I need to add some kind of hatch to allow access for the battery and I’ve found from experience, the bigger the better. This is a shot of the plan of the centre section of the fuselage as designed…..

    #847
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    My initial plan is the make the area marked in yellow removeable. Its mainly tertiary (non-critical) structure but I will be adding a battery tray to re-enforce structural integrity.

    #848
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    First part of the hatch plan was to reposition the rear former to a rear angled position. The original balsa former top half was replaced by liteply….

    #849
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    The front part of the hatch is made from 1/2 inch balsa sheet……note the approximate position of the canopy area marked out.

    #850
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Next up the remaining rear fuselage formers were added along with the upper sheeting….note the second former added at the rear of the hatch area.

    #851
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    The next part involves shaping the 3/16 balsa cockpit sides which are a compound curve so in preparation a couple of blanks were made up, soaked in water and left to dry overnight with weights on to put a bit of a curve into them……

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.