Home Forums Main Forum Challenger

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Brookes745

And then attacked with a razor plane……

Brookes745

Second one done and the halves joined…..

Brookes745

Finally sanded smooth and tips added…

Brookes745

Next the elevator halves were made up. I had some TE section in stock but it wasn’t deep enough so I added some 3/8 square to the LE to bring it up to size. The elevators were then cut to shape and the wire joiner bent up…..

Brookes745

And finally taped together to check alignment.

Brookes745

The fin and rudder were made in a similar way to the stab only this time out of 1/2 inch balsa. So once again blanks were made up……

Brookes745

And then carved and sanded to shape……

Brookes745

Next up was to carry on with the fuselage. As I’ve said I want to power the aircraft with an electric motor, specifically this one……

Brookes745

With the motor prop driver, mount and spinner fitted it was offered up to the plan to check fitment. There is a gap of about an inch between the back of the motor and the firewall. I will use this gap to fit a plywood motor mount box and incorporate the required 2 degrees of right thrust for the motor. Note the pencil lines showing my thoughts on possibly adding a chin piece to the cowl area for practical and aesthetic purposes…..

Brookes745

Thinking about the conversion to electric, I need to add some kind of hatch to allow access for the battery and I’ve found from experience, the bigger the better. This is a shot of the plan of the centre section of the fuselage as designed…..

Brookes745

My initial plan is the make the area marked in yellow removeable. Its mainly tertiary (non-critical) structure but I will be adding a battery tray to re-enforce structural integrity.

Brookes745

First part of the hatch plan was to reposition the rear former to a rear angled position. The original balsa former top half was replaced by liteply….

Brookes745

The front part of the hatch is made from 1/2 inch balsa sheet……note the approximate position of the canopy area marked out.

Brookes745

Next up the remaining rear fuselage formers were added along with the upper sheeting….note the second former added at the rear of the hatch area.

Brookes745

The next part involves shaping the 3/16 balsa cockpit sides which are a compound curve so in preparation a couple of blanks were made up, soaked in water and left to dry overnight with weights on to put a bit of a curve into them……

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.