Home Forums Main Forum Challenger

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Brookes745

After a nights drying the blanks were curved enough to be glued into place on the front decking, an easy job using cyano, and then the front faces cut to the correct angle…..

Brookes745

Next the leading edge piece attached….

Brookes745

And carved roughly to shape…..

Brookes745

Before adding the 1/2 inch top decking……

Brookes745

Time to think about mounting the motor. The model is designed to have 2 degrees of right thrust built in, this is to counteract torque reaction and is the same regardless of what type of propulsion you use (unless you use contra-rotating propellers like they do in F3A).  I decided not to build any right thrust into the fuselage by off setting the firewall, choosing instead to use an offset motor mount box. First step for this was to make a mount for the motor back plate out of 1/8 ply…..

Brookes745

Next the rest of the box was constructed while trying to add lightness where possible. This shot is looking into the box at the rear part that will bolt to the firewall…

Brookes745

To achieve the offset the box in 1/8 inch shorter on the right side and I’ve tried to show this here……obviously this is shown from below.

Brookes745

Finally the front plate placed in position but not yet glued as it will make life a lot easier later on…..

Brookes745

While wait for some longer M4 bolts and T nuts to turn up, I added a slot to the 3/8 ply firewall for cooling and to allow the motor cables to run and I also enlarged to centre hole to match the hole in the motor box. Shown here with the cooling slot marked up….

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Brookes745.
    Brookes745

This next shot shows the cutting done and some structure added to the top which will be part of the hatch retaining system…..

Brookes745

On to the hatch system. The front will be two locating dowels that will slot into a former incorporated it the structure mentioned above, attached to the hatch. The dowels are usually made from hardwood dowel but I didn’t have any of the right size so made some up using aluminium tubing with a hardwood core, shown here glued to the front of the hatch…..

Brookes745

And shown here from underneath in situ….the gaps will be filled later.

Brookes745

For the rear mounting, there are various possible methods such as magnets or a latch system but I decided to go for the same set up as was used on my Wind S, which is two retaining bolts, one each side of the fuselage. The bolts screw into T nuts on plywood tongues glued to the hatch. First off the holes in the fuselage were marked up, drilled and plastic sleeving inserted to make it more durable…..

Brookes745

Next the tongues were cut from 1/8 ply and the t nuts added…..

Brookes745

Slots were cut in the underside of the hatch which was then taped in place. The tongues were then offered up, adjusted so the holes lined up and tack glued in place….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.