Home Forums Main Forum Challenger

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Brookes745

And the rudder……

Brookes745

And both together……

Brookes745

So in readiness for balancing the plane was assembled……

Brookes745

A plate was made up to hold the battery using a Proskin and 1/32 ply laminate…….

Brookes745

The plates that I use to mark the balance point were taped in place and the plane was lowered onto my balancing jig. A battery was taped to the mounting plate and it was positioned to give the correct balance……

Brookes745

Finally, I couldn’t resist sitting it on it wheels next to my Wind S as a size comparison. It was at this point while congratulating myself on how good it looked that I realised I had a problem which I thought might arise……the propeller is too big for the airframe. Its correct for the motor but the original ran a 60 2 stroke with a 11 inch prop, this has a 16 inch windmill on the front of it!!! This means that the prop would foul the ground on the take off run so a power plant re-think is in order…….

Brookes745

Another together shot…

Brookes745

So while I await the arrival of a new motor, time to think about finishing this bird. After much procrastination, I have decided to finish the fuselage, hatch, fin and lower wing fairing using glass cloth and the wings/tail plane using film. To start with everything was stripped out and filling/sanding commenced. I’ll be honest, this is my least favourite part of a build….. 🙁

Brookes745

I wanted to add fillets to around the fin/fuselage joint and the canopy hatch area. For this I used Micro Balloons and epoxy, which is mixed up as a paste and applied as a filler. The micro balloons are tiny, hollow glass spheres which are very light and easy to sand.

Brookes745

Applied to the fin area and control rod outlets……

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Brookes745.
    Brookes745

And the canopy hatch area……

Brookes745

So with the filler sanded, I wanted to try improve the joint between the top hatch and the fuselage using body filler. I’ve seen this done on various other build logs but to tried it myself, so here goes. First part is to add parcel tape to the hatch……

Brookes745

and the top side……

Brookes745

Then the filler is applied to the top surface of the fuselage hatch area….

Brookes745

Then the hatch is bolted into place to cure……fingers crossed….

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Brookes745.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.