Home Forums Main Forum Challenger

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #922
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    And the rudder……

    #923
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    And both together……

    #926
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    So in readiness for balancing the plane was assembled……

    #927
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    A plate was made up to hold the battery using a Proskin and 1/32 ply laminate…….

     

    #928
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    The plates that I use to mark the balance point were taped in place and the plane was lowered onto my balancing jig. A battery was taped to the mounting plate and it was positioned to give the correct balance……

    #929
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Finally, I couldn’t resist sitting it on it wheels next to my Wind S as a size comparison. It was at this point while congratulating myself on how good it looked that I realised I had a problem which I thought might arise……the propeller is too big for the airframe. Its correct for the motor but the original ran a 60 2 stroke with a 11 inch prop, this has a 16 inch windmill on the front of it!!! This means that the prop would foul the ground on the take off run so a power plant re-think is in order…….

    #930
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Another together shot…

    #931
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    So while I await the arrival of a new motor, time to think about finishing this bird. After much procrastination, I have decided to finish the fuselage, hatch, fin and lower wing fairing using glass cloth and the wings/tail plane using film. To start with everything was stripped out and filling/sanding commenced. I’ll be honest, this is my least favourite part of a build….. 🙁

    #932
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    I wanted to add fillets to around the fin/fuselage joint and the canopy hatch area. For this I used Micro Balloons and epoxy, which is mixed up as a paste and applied as a filler. The micro balloons are tiny, hollow glass spheres which are very light and easy to sand.

    #933
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Applied to the fin area and control rod outlets……

    • This reply was modified 8 months ago by Brookes745.
    #935
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    And the canopy hatch area……

    #941
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    So with the filler sanded, I wanted to try improve the joint between the top hatch and the fuselage using body filler. I’ve seen this done on various other build logs but to tried it myself, so here goes. First part is to add parcel tape to the hatch……

    #942
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    and the top side……

    #943
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Then the filler is applied to the top surface of the fuselage hatch area….

    #944
    Brookes745
    Moderator

    Then the hatch is bolted into place to cure……fingers crossed….

    • This reply was modified 8 months ago by Brookes745.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.