Home Forums Main Forum FREEWING P-51D HP “OLD CROW” 1410MM (55″) WINGSPAN – PNP

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    DRCH
    Keymaster
    DRCH
    Keymaster

Hi All, Here is the link to the latest P51 Video.

P-51 Video

Keep safe.

Chris
    DRCH

DRCH
    Keymaster

Thanks to Ian Brookes, I now know that the small control tab is on a rudder. Thought I would share.

Trim tabs are small, secondary flight control surfaces that are attached to the trailing edge of a larger, primary control surface such as an elevator or rudder. The trim tab is used to “trim”, or counteract the aerodynamic force on, the control surface and thus stabilise the aircraft in the axis of rotation associated with the primary control. Trim tabs can be either flight adjustable or fixed.

By adjusting the angle of the trim tab relative to the larger control surface, the neutral position of the control surface is changed. This occurs because the distance from the control surface hinge at which the trim tab is mounted provides sufficient moment or force to move the larger surface.

Fixed trim tabs are most often encountered on the rudder or aileron of a light, single engine aircraft. A fixed tab is ground adjusted (bent) to the desired position to overcome any unwanted roll or yaw tendencies of the aircraft. Adjustable trim is virtually always installed to adjust control loading associated with the pitch axis and may also be used to trim for yaw or roll. The position of an adjustable trim tab can be changed in flight, using cockpit controls, to counter any variation in control loading resulting from changes in airspeed, centre of gravity, aircraft configuration or due to an engine failure. Trim tabs can be manually or electrically controlled (or both), depending upon the aircraft installation.

Keep safe

Chris

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by DRCH.
    Brookes745

Your welcome for the information. As an ex RAF aircraft engineer, my head is full of that kind of useless information….. 🙂

DRCH
    Keymaster

That’s great, what did you do in the RAF. I wanted to join the RAF after ATC, but I could not do what I wanted to do, so was silly enough to walk away. But I belong to the RAFA, so I can still give to you guys and girls when needed.

Chris

Brookes745

Airframe technician. Did time on Vulcans, Bloodhound missiles (don’t ask!!), Wessex helicopters and finally 15 years on Tornado F3. Got to say you did the right thing walking away if they didn’t have what you wanted…a lot didn’t and lived to regret it.

DRCH
    Keymaster

Sounds great, unfortunately it is a regret, but we all have one or two. Some seriously cool planes you worked on. You have RC planes?

Chris

Brookes745

Yes , like you I have many RC aircraft, perhaps too many. Learnt to fly years ago while in the RAF (tarmac runways…luxury!!) but never took my A Cert which proved a pain when I tried to joins clubs in civvy street. I didn’t fly for about 15 years then found a club where you if you could take off and land 3 times you could fly solo. Turns out RC flying is like riding a bike, once learnt you don’t forget and after a few weeks getting back into the groove, I took and passed my A cert at the end of last year.

At the moment my hanger is full off mainly electric foam models, Riot, Ruckus (bought after watching your YouTube video), Riot XL, Wot 4 etc… but I also enjoy balsa bashing and I’ve got a few others in the pipeline. Radio wise I’m a Spektrum man currently using an iX12.

DRCH
    Keymaster

Glad i helped you decide what to buy. I never liked the Wot4.
    As you know I am still learning, I just too hard on the sticks I think. I guess I got the bug and wanted every plane that I always liked. So yes I have too many.

I was told by the club to use Taranis, and the X10 has a similar interface to a spectrum, instead of OpenTX that a lot use. I would love a wooden plane one day.

https://carf-models.com/en/products/bae-hawk-1-5-3-50th-anniversary-scheme

Let hope all this madness goes soon and we can get our flying.

Chris

DRCH
    Keymaster

New video today, rather. Chit Chat on the works coming for the P51D.

Keep Safe

Chris

DRCH
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Just uploaded the Wednesday Lockdown Special. I was hoping to do more within the thirty minuets, but then again you will be getting a Thursday Lockdown Special.

Keep safe all.

Chris

Brookes745

Another interesting video Chris. Building a large (1/5th or bigger) scale P51 with working everything is on my modelling “bucket list”……. 🙂

Sorting out the wiring/radio installation on a model is my favourite part of a build and I like your attention to detail…reminds me of me.

Your talk about lights got me thinking about what the general lighting arrangements on full size are:

Red and green navigation lights – on the wing tips that are constantly on
    Anti-collision lights – top and bottom of the fuselage which flash, white during the day, red at night.
    Landing lights – come on constantly when the landing gear is selected down
    Taxi lights – can be selected on to aid ground manoeuvring.

Keep up the good work and stay safe.

Ian

DRCH
    Keymaster

Hi Ian,

Large scale one day as well. I could have done more detail and made my own servo extension leads, then add a nice cable loom, it dose play at the back of my mind. Maybe I will re-do after the build has been done.

Interesting about the lights. Maybe I will see if the P51 has collision lights, if not I will leave them all static.
    Once again an invaluable source for Aviation questions.

Keep safe

Chris

Brookes745

Been looking and it seems that the P51 had one anti col light behind the radio mast on the top rear fus and one on the rudder facing rear.

DRCH
    Keymaster

Hi All,

Just posted Part 2 of the electronics install. Hope everyone is well.

Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.