Home Forums Main Forum SLEC/Apache Aviation RAF Chipmunk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Brookes745

Next project turned up today, a SLEC 1/5 scale Chipmunk, 80 inch span. I will be powering it with a Saito 150 (25cc) glow four stroke. I’ll do a build log if anyone is interested.

DRCH
    Keymaster

I would personally love to see this build. Be cool for you to post what you do. You had me at RAF 🤓.

Brookes745

After checking and sorting the contents of the kit, first step was to laminate the landing gear mounting blocks and the supports on to ribs R3 & R5.

Brookes745

These were then dry test fitted along with Ribs R2 & R4……

Brookes745

Next the wing main spar components are glued together consisting of a 1.5mm lite ply web and a 1/4 x 1/2 hardwood spar. A second spar will be added later .Note the plan protector sheet that was supplied  in the kit…a nice touch.

Brookes745

Finally for today, a first for me, a temporary former tack glued to the root rib to keep it straight.

More soon…..

DRCH
    Keymaster

love it, you building fast as well, excited to see this build.. Keep at it.

Chris

Brookes745

Afternoons work saw the left wing framed up…….

Brookes745

Another view…..

More soon…..

DRCH
    Keymaster

Looking great, even I am excited for you.

Brookes745

More progress. Wing top sheeting and cap strips added. Hole near the root is to allow access to the wing joining bolts.

Brookes745

Wing flipped over and landing gear blocks epoxied in place. Aileron and flap hinge blocks and spars added.

More soon

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Brookes745.
    DRCH
    Keymaster

Looking orsum👍🏻

Brookes745

Lower wing sheeting, cap strips, tip blocks and LE all added. Aileron & flap servo hatch covers also added at this stage.

Brookes745

Close up view of the servo hatches. These are made from 2.5mm ply which seemed a bit excessive but the servos will be mounted directly to the covers. Not my favourite method but I’ll follow the instructions for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.