Home Forums Main Forum SLEC/Apache Aviation RAF Chipmunk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Brookes745

Close up of the root rib area, I’ve left the sheeting off in the corner for now until I install the wing locating dowels once the fuselage is built. Note the slot for the landing gear leg.

Brookes745

Finally for now, ailerons & flaps separated from the wing awaiting LE/TE sheeting.

More soon…..

DRCH
    Keymaster

Those are looking orsum, some nice workmanship πŸ‘πŸ»

Brookes745

After a week in which working in the workshop has been like being in an oven, a bit more progress. Ailerons and flaps hinged….good range of movement on both.

Brookes745

Next area to work on was the wing joining brace. Bit odd here, the brace itself is made from 1/4 ply but the slot it goes into is 3/8? After a bit of head scratching I added a 1/8 ply thickener and drilled two holes to allow for the retaining bolt captive nuts.

Brookes745

The brace was then bolted into position…..

Brookes745

At this point I decided to call the left wing finished for now and before I start the right one, a bit of light relief in the form of framing up the tailplane.

More soon…..

DRCH
    Keymaster

Certainly getting there. Stage it had the wrong size wood to join the wings. I must admit, it’s good of you to share your journey. πŸ‘πŸ»

Chris

Brookes745

Next job was to frame up the elevators…..note the lite ply strengtheners for the wire elevator joiner.

Brookes745

View of the fully completed tail plane…….I will look to add some more scale detail later. The slot in the sheeting is for the fin location.

Brookes745

Finally a close up of the elevator joiner.

Next is the right wing which is essentially a repeat of the left so I’ll just post at significant stages.

Back soon

DRCH
    Keymaster

This is really great that you are posting your build journey. Look forward to the next πŸ‘πŸ»

Brookes745

Couple of hours work saw the right wing framed up…..

Steel ruler is to weigh the ribs down to keep the tabs on the building board while things set.

More soon….

Brookes745

As an aside, you will note that the ribs and shear web on the wings are heavily lightened with materiel removed where possible. I kept all the cut outs as I was curious to see how much weight it saved, so in a daring move, I borrowed she who must be obeyed kitchen scales and weighed them….

As you can see, a whole 63 grammes (2.2 oz in old money) saved….not much in the grand scheme of things but every bit of saving is worth it.

Brookes745

As the next stage after the wings will be the fuselage, time to start thinking about an engine so ordered this bad boy today….

A Saito 150B……. πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Brookes745.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.