Home Forums Main Forum SLEC/Apache Aviation RAF Chipmunk

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Brookes745

Then the servo end…….

Brookes745

Next the fuel tank was installed. Important to get the feed line close as possible to the same height as the throttle needle valve on non pumped engines….

Brookes745

Next up was the tail wheel assembly……shown in position not yet glued. Unusual arrangement on this model with the linkage controlling both the tail wheel and the rudder.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Brookes745.
    Brookes745

The instructions call for the tail wheel plate to be glued on at this point but I’m leaving it for now for a couple of reasons. Firstly I want to wait until I know the final position of the rudder and secondly the fuselage has to be heavily shaped to get the correct scale appearance. Its currently square but needs to end up looking like this……

Brookes745

Next the wing was clamped into position and the positions for the wing mounting bolts marked for drilling…..

Brookes745

The holes were then drilled and the wing mounting plate T nuts fitted and the assemblies glued and clamped into place….

More soon…..

DRCH
    Keymaster

Glad you said about the feed line, I was thinking to have the bottle backwards.
    the build really looking good.

Chris

Brookes745

Chris

It needs to be as close as possible and the feed line of the tank needs to be more or less level with the needle valve as shown below…..

Too high, the engine will flood, too low it will run lean. Its not super critical to get it exact as the tank will be pressurised using exhaust pressure but it all helps and on this model there was tons of room to adjust it. Might be different on your Tiggie……

Ian

DRCH
    Keymaster

Ian how will this work with the Tiger, as my engine is upside down.

Chris

Brookes745

Chris

Exactly the same. It doesn’t matter about the orientation of the engine as long as you keep the level of the tank/needle about the same. The picture below shows a four stroke set up similar to yours/mine….just imagine the engine flipped upside but with the line from the fuel line to the needle still being level.

Ian

Brookes745

Wing locating dowels fitted and centre section boxed in. Wing bolts fitted along with strengthening plates.

Brookes745

Cooling air scoop assembly made up and glued in place. Plane calls for centre section to be removable for tank access but due to how I’ve mounted the tank it’s not required so glued in place. Since doing it, I may have a think on how much access I need for the tank……food for thought.

Brookes745

Strengthening beams added between F1 & F2 as per the plan. Again I may rethink this and possibly have a top hatch depending on where I have to put the battery.

DRCH
    Keymaster

Such talent you have sir. It’s really coming together.

DRCH
    Keymaster

Did you stop making, was looking forward to more images 👍🏻

Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.